Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Baby, Don't Let Him Waste Your Time

Travelling
Man- finding vacation/travel destinations is exhausting. There are too many options, packages, deals, super deals, super packages, no packages, separate flights/separate hotels, too much.

It seems everyone in my life has had an easier time with it than me. I'm reaching out for help here.

Lamenting Borders
This morning on the way to work I passed a former manager of my from Borders (soon to be defunct to a location near you.) I had worked at Borders in Lewisville (amazing time) and here at Penn Station (seventh level of hell). Penn Station Borders was new and shiny and packed with people hustling and bustling to catch trains constantly. People arguing, people fighting over books.

I wanted to say something to her, like a "crazy, right?" But then I remembered she had been fired from a company that is now closing, and I felt bad for her. I quit, flat out, but she was let go. Still it would've been nice to commiserate.

Borders thoughts?

1 comment:

Whereismyrobot said...

I used to work at Border's but I admit, I moved on pretty quickly. It was in 2001, a long long time ago.

Obviously considering my line of work, I should want bookstores to flourish, however I feel that Border's never changed it's business model and that is why it's out of business. As an NPR article stated, Border's was the place you would go to find out what was new (before the Internet). The fact that they wanted to charge $21 for a cd that's $9.99 on itunes was ridiculous, since they weren't a place of discovery anymore.

I think the CEOs made some horrible choices (selling your stock while telling people to invest?)

That said, I was a little sad to see this. I pass by that Lewisville store all the time. It sucks. Also, Denton definitely lacks in the good bookstore department (not counting Recycled, just talking about new books).