Sunday, July 01, 2007

Listen, you'll have to excuse me. I have a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons in 20 minutes.

I was supposed to be in Denton this weekend, somehow ended up in Odessa.

Rather than going to the Last of The Interceptors show ( in this case I dismiss the Riverboat Gamblers) I stayed in Odessa to watch bands named Seven Screams of Silence, Hand Over Fist and Dead Bang Go. It's very reminiscent of the days we spent in El Paso. Very very reminiscent. Floppy dyed black hair, screaming and the occasional melody.

How did I become a part time nanny (I've heard the term 'manny' thrown loosely around) for a six year old girl?

Because my cousin and her husband are such a hip young couple barely into their 30's and still like to be scene and be seen, they feel that I have as much influence on their young daughter equal to their style of upbringing. They don't have a certain bed time for the little lady, don't like to make "rules" that would stiffen this age of enlightenment. The only super strict thing is what she eats, but that's really the one thing that I throw away.
Right now while the parents are chatting aways with my parents about TLC programs I'm letting her look at an old copy of The Believer while I write and listen to Paul Westerberg.

Honestly, I think Patton Oswalt had it right talking about people with hippie no establishment parents. That while they're young they live in this environment of no boundaries they grow up and freak out and become straight-edged civil engineers with deadlines and tee times. It's the whole rebellious attitude they take on.

But on the other hand I have to hand it to the little girl. She's from D.C. lived here for only a year, and has managed to slingshot her way into the lead ballerina at her school's ballet program. I'm impressed.

This week I interviewed Terry Webb on his new book, The Phoenix Gene. And although it's not a work of groundbreaking literature, it's a situational comedy about zombies. It's on the new releases at Barnes and Noble if you want to snag a copy, or just read my review in next weeks Diversions.

No comments: