Thursday, March 29, 2007

There's nothing at the center of what we do.

Bored.

That's what's happening. When I was a kid and staying at my grandparent's house in Big Spring (we lived far far far away in Big Lake at that time) if we said we were bored we'd have to shell pecans.
Shelling pecans is some odd combination between child labor and torture. Bits of pecans get underneath your fingernails, skin becomes dry and cracked and starts to bleed. We had electric machines that could smash the shells and keep the meat intact, but those if we even looked at we'd break them. So we had to pick the shells apart with our tiny hands, tiny spots of blood on our Ocean Pacific t-shirts.

So, pecan death aside, I'm bored.

After I dropped my Mom off in Grand Prairie last night, I drove around for awhile. I didn't feel like going back home. Everything between Dallas and Ft. Worth seems to bleed into one another and at night everything looks the same.

Saturday we're playing at J&J's with Chief Death Rage and Little Teddly. There's a new split between Eat Avery's Bones and Koji Kondo. Great things.

The girl in front of me keeps writing the words "Why Anal Sex is Wrong" in big bold letters on an open text document. Then she plays Tetris for a few seconds, goes back, deletes the text, changes the style of font, the size, and types it again. Then back to Tetris.

I'm attending Passover next week at the synagogue I've been loosely attending,Congregation Kol Ami. This is the first holiday I've attended there and I'm anxious. Often times Passover services are extended to people that aren't Jewish (me) and I wonder how many non-Jews will be there. I've become increasingly more interested in Judaism due to class. I have certain views on religion, and although I've been raised as a Christian, I don't feel that connected to it. I feel as if I were raised more in fear of God rather than how most Christian homes were held. It wasn't quite Fire-and-Brimstone-You're-Going-to-Hell-Regardless, but more like if you do this, you'll got to hell. That's it, and the rules always changed from parent to parent (If you don't help you parents clean the garage, Jesus doesn't like that). Stuff like that. So, outside of a very late religious crisis, it almost feels like I'm actually discovering religion for the first time.