Thursday, February 21, 2008

The blog in where I try to break down my love with The Magnetic Fields

Really, I remember the day I got to hear 69 Love Songs.

Spring, afternoon, I remember because in Denton the Crepe Myrtle were rubbing their branches together to wake up.
I was walking with Chris, and we were talking about how we both liked Knapsack and Karate, trying to out-obscure indie rock with one another by asking each other if we had it on vinyl or CD, scoffing at the other for not really "owning" the music.
He roomed along with Ktrey and Candace in the one apartment where so much had happened in Denton. George O'Neal getting scurvy, the Pointy Shoe Factory forming (and then later, breaking up) and of course Mikey Sweets' shrinking room.
Due to poor architecture-ing, the farthest room from the street tapered off in the corner, an optical illusion that forced you to have all of your furniture pushed against one wall, uncomfortable for some company, quite alluring for others.

I've digressed.

Yet, background is important when talking about life changing events, and this one still rings out in me.
Reno Dakota was the very first song I heard. Vocals- Claudia Gonson, Music- Stephin Merritt.

Since then I've associated every aspect of my life with Stephin Merritt's music as best as a depraved indie rock schlub can. It's all in there, every emotion that I feel I always connect it with lyrics or a song from the entire catalog.

It's blissful, it's painful, it's full. And tomorrow night I'll finally get a chance to see Stephin Merritt & Co., courtesy of Erin.

1 comment:

Bookhead said...

I hope if was everything you dreamed.