Sunday, June 08, 2008

After a foolish action comes remorse.


I sure said the wrong thing right then. I drank a bottle of wine and rode around the trains for a while, realizing I'm just fucking myself over again.

So, the pesky problem with living in Brooklyn, sometimes, is people breaking into your apartment. Or getting mugged. Or both.
My apartment in Bushwick isn't in the greatest location, but it's quite aways from the hubub of Knickerbocker or Myrtle. I'm sort of positioned between the JMZ and the L. There's a lot of construction on my street, but that's usually during the daylight hours, and they're pretty quick. The sound of grinding metal bothered me at first, but now it's just become background noise.
Well- first earlier this week someone tried to break in by breaking the lock to the back door of my apartment. The upstairs neighbor (Gene) brought it to my attention. Someone had kicked/smashed the lock. It was a pretty good job, real forceful. Gene was more pissed I think (He's been living there since the 1960's... I figured maybe he's dealt with this
before).
Anyway, so the initial wave of shock went over us, we called the landlord, his response: "maybe this week or next. Real busy." While the people above me have been robbed a couple of times already were extremely pissed.
So, we set up a block with some stolen 2x4's from the construction sites and felt a wee bit more secure.
So, fucking last night around 4:30am I hear a banging from the back (my room's near the back) and run out of my room. My roomates and various stragglers from last night's party are in the living room and also run out. There's the burglar (maybe the same guy?) trying to beat the door again! He clearly sees us, and keeps at it. Neal walks to the back door and starts yelling at him, they sort of argue, and then the guy disappears into the shadows of all the abandoned buildings. Fuck.
Be amazed at my paint drawing skills. The red circled area is where the guy keeps on trying to get in. I didn't circle the front door because that's been kicked in for a while now.

So, now I'm looking again for an apartment. I think the guys are going to stay, but I don't want to deal with it. Plus our plumbing is bad. So there. I'm trying to move again.

I have an appointment with someone down in Park Slope tonight. Hope it works out.

No comments: